Desired Experience Level(s): Entry level, Graduate degree, PhD, Post Doc, Experienced Alumni
Heron Systems Inc. is seeking a new or recent graduate with a background in machine learning to join our Research and Development Group. This position will support an ongoing research and development project creating advanced concept algorithms for certain Navy aircraft and missions. The work will be based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and require approximately 25% travel.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Heron Systems has developed IDR; a technology using machine learning algorithms to automatically detect and remove bias in sensors. The technology has drawn significant interest from the US Navy. We are currently working with the Navy and other partners to advance the technology from a laboratory prototype into a fielded, deployed, airborne system. This position will support that technical effort while simultaneously advancing the technology more broadly. You will work with a small team that includes machine learning specialists, aerospace and software engineers. You will work closely with our Government partners to ensure IDR meets their requirements.
- Scientists and engineers in our R&D Group are tasked with performing the research and development activities of one or more projects. Leadership tasking includes managing the development activities of the entire project, and a project team of 3-4 engineers.
- R&D Group members are encouraged to cultivate their own tasking and funding and are therefore free to explore new and innovative projects. Current projects are applying deep learning, computer vision, neural network algorithms, non-linear dynamics, and complex systems theory in support of UAVs, space systems, and next-generation military aircraft.
- Graduate level degree in statistics, computer science, engineering, mathematics or related technical degree. Alternatively, an undergraduate degree with significant demonstrated machine learning course work and excellent academic performance will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience applying machine learning concepts to challenging problems. Deep learning or reinforcement learning experience is a plus.
- Significant experience working in Python. C family of languages, Java, and related object oriented languages are a plus.
- Experience obtaining funding and managing projects is a plus. Demonstrated excellence in grant writing, proposal development, and technical writing is preferred.
- US citizenship is required.
Apply with your Resume, References and any Supporting Documentation to email@example.com
Heron Systems Inc. is a small engineering firm that provides a dynamic and challenging environment where engineers and researchers can expand their skills in a range of fields. Our Research and Development Group desires entrepreneurial inclined researchers looking to develop their own topics. We empower our scientists and engineers to pursue their technical interests, believing that innovation is driven by motivated and passionate research and development.
We take pride in creating a friendly, warm, and fun work environment where hard work is rewarded. We offer excellent salaries, competitive benefits, and a team of motivated, competitive individuals.