Heron Systems Inc. is seeking engineers with 0-5 years of experience with a background in machine learning to join our Research and Development Group. This position will provide guided research and development of ML algorithms and related technologies for an ongoing projects investigating advanced agent-based autonomy (e.g. air combat operations) and complex strategic reasoning (e.g. AI-powered mission planning). The work will be based in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area and require approximately 0-10% travel.
Desired Experience Level(s)
Entry level, Graduate degree, PhD, Post Doc, Experienced Alumni
About the Position
Heron Systems has developed a software factory for building and optimizing deep reinforcement learning-based solutions. The technology has drawn significant interest from DARPA, AFRL and the US Navy. We are currently working with these customers to investigate modern warfighting problems and develop prototype solutions. This position will support at least one of our ML teams to help build a solution while simultaneously advancing the technology more broadly. You will work with a small team that includes senior ML researchers, engineers, and subject matter experts. You will work closely with our Government customers and industry partners to ensure that the solutions meet the rigorous demands of defense technologies.
- Scientists and engineers in our R&D Group are tasked with performing the research and development activities of one or more projects. Leadership tasking includes managing the development activities of the entire project, and a project team of 3-4 engineers.
- R&D Group members are encouraged to cultivate their own tasking and funding and are therefore free to explore new and innovative projects. Current projects are applying deep learning, computer vision, neural network algorithms, non-linear dynamics, and complex systems theory in support of UAVs, space systems, and next-generation military aircraft.
- Graduate level degree in statistics, computer science, engineering, mathematics or related technical degree. Alternatively, an undergraduate degree with significant demonstrated machine learning course work and excellent academic performance will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience applying machine learning concepts to challenging problems. Deep learning or reinforcement learning experience is a plus.
- Significant experience working in Python. C family of languages, Java, and related object oriented languages are a plus.
- Experience obtaining funding and managing projects is a plus. Demonstrated excellence in grant writing, proposal development, and technical writing is preferred.
- US citizenship is required.
Apply with your Resume, References and any Supporting Documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org