Heron Systems Inc. is seeking a senior engineer with significant experience in reinforcement and/or supervised learning to join our Research and Development Group. This position will provide lead research and development of ML algorithms and related technologies for ongoing projects investigating reasoning over and through complex decision spaces in real-time (e.g. AI-powered mission planning or courses of action generation). The work will be based in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area and require approximately 0-10% travel.
Desired Experience Level(s)
- Experienced professionals with at least 5 years experience building solutions using supervised learning or reinforcement learning or a combination.
- Graduate level education or a history conducting research and development is desired.
- Exceptional talent developing software and working with a medium-sized code base is strongly desired.
About the Position
Heron Systems has developed a software factory for building and optimizing deep reinforcement learning-based solutions. The technology has drawn significant interest from DARPA, AFRL and the US Navy. We are currently working with these customers to investigate modern warfighting problems and develop prototype solutions. This position will provide technical leadership to one of our ML teams while simultaneously advancing the technology more broadly. You will work with a small team that includes other ML researchers, engineers, and subject matter experts. You will work closely with our Government customers and industry partners to ensure that the solutions meet the rigorous demands of defense technologies. We build solutions that transition into fielded systems and a requirement for conducting simulation-to-real transfer and field testing exists.
- Scientists and engineers in our R&D Group are tasked with performing the research and development activities of one or more projects. Leadership tasking includes managing the development activities of the entire project, and a project team of 3-4 engineers.
- R&D Group leaders are expected to cultivate their own tasking and funding and are therefore free to explore new and innovative projects. Current projects are applying deep learning, computer vision, neural network algorithms, non-linear dynamics, and complex systems theory in support of UAVs, space systems, and next-generation military aircraft.
- Graduate level degree in statistics, computer science, engineering, mathematics or related technical degree. Alternatively, an undergraduate degree with significant demonstrated applied ML experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience applying machine learning concepts to challenging problems. Deep learning or reinforcement learning experience is a plus.
- Expert level competency in Python. C family of languages, Java, and related object oriented languages are a plus.
- Experience obtaining funding and managing projects is a plus. Demonstrated excellence in grant writing, proposal development, and technical writing is preferred.
- US citizenship is required.
Apply with your Resume, References and any Supporting Documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org