Heron Systems Inc. is seeking an experienced practitioner of machine learning to join our Research and Development Group. This position will support a new opportunity requiring a novel predictive analytics capability and near real-time evaluation of highly complex tactical decisions. The work will be based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and require approximately 5-10% travel.
Desired Experience Level(s)
3+ years of direct ML research experience, graduate degree, PhD, Post Doc
About the Position
Heron Systems is developing a novel, AI-based approach to understanding tactical, operational and strategic decision making in complex games and simulations. The technology has drawn interest from DARPA and is being adapted into a prototype solution supporting tactical courses of action decision making. This position will lead the investigation and maturation of key elements of the solution. You will lead a small team of junior machine learning researchers and work with Heron Systems’ senior technologists to ensure the appropriate form, fit and function of the AI. You will work closely with our industry partners to integrate the AI within the larger architecture of the prototype, demonstrate functionality, and iterate customer feedback.
- Scientists and engineers in our R&D Group are tasked with performing the research and development activities of one or more projects. Leadership tasking includes managing the development activities of the entire project, and a project team of 3-4 engineers.
- R&D Group members are encouraged to cultivate their own tasking and funding and are therefore free to explore new and innovative projects. Current projects are applying deep learning, computer vision, neural network algorithms, non-linear dynamics, and complex systems theory in support of UAVs, space systems, and next-generation military aircraft.
- Graduate level degree in computer science, data science, engineering or a related technical discipline with a specific research focus on machine learning. Alternatively, an undergraduate degree with significant professional experience building ML-based solutions and leading an innovation project will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience applying machine learning concepts to challenging problems. Deep learning or reinforcement learning experience is a plus. Prior predictive analytics or reasoning over data experience is a plus.
- This position will require a security clearance. An active clearance is a plus. The ability to qualify for a clearance is required.
- Significant experience working in Python. C family of languages, Java, and related object oriented languages are a plus.
- Experience obtaining funding and managing projects is a plus. Demonstrated excellence in grant writing, proposal development, and technical writing is preferred.
- US citizenship is required.
Apply with your Resume, References and any Supporting Documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org