Kenneth Kroeger received a B.S./M.S. in Mechanical Engineering in 2010 and 2013 respectively from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. He is currently actively pursuing a PhD in Electrical Engineering. He has been with Heron Systems, Inc. for approximately 4 years in which he has been a part of numerous Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) projects, IR&D programs, and proposal development efforts. Additionally, Mr. Kroeger works on outreach programs with civil and agricultural industries in adopting and applying unmanned systems technologies. Along with software engineering, Mr. Kroeger provides subject matter expertise in the sensing, navigation, and control of unmanned systems.
Mr. Kroeger’s research interests are in developing control strategies for unmanned systems. Of particular interest are control systems with emphasis on nonlinear, lyapunov, and adaptive methods for control and autonomy.
- Real-time online robust flight and navigation control routines for UAS.
- Cooperative control and task allocation of heterogeneous autonomous systems.
- Sensor fusion methods for robust state estimation.
- Embedded circuit design for power and data distribution.
Publications & Outreach
- Nolan, P., Paley, D., and Kroeger, K., “Augmented Path-planning Technique for UAS Applied to Precision Agriculture” IEEE AeroConference (2017)
- Kochersberger, K., Kroeger, K., Krawiec, B., Brewer, E., and Weber, T., “Post-Disaster Remote Sensing and Sampling via Autonomous Helicopter” Journal of Field Robotics (2014).
- Christie, G., Stiltner, L., Kroeger, K., and Kochersberger, K., “3-D Scene Understanding from Image-Based Reconstructions Using a Small Unmanned Aircraft” AIAA Scitech (2014).
- Kroeger, Kenneth E. Design and Evaluation of a Fixed-Pitch Multirotor UAV with a Nonlinear Control Strategy. Thesis. Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 2013. Print.
- ANS EPRRSD – 13th Robotics & remote Systems for Hazardous Environments. 11th Emergency Preparedness & Response Knoxville, TN, August 7-10, 2011. POST DETONATION AUTONOMOUS ROBOTIC RESPONSE SYSTEM.
- Kroeger, K.,Kochersberger, K., and Torok, M., “An Assessment of Ground Robot Tele-Operation Using Vision Systems for Terrain Mapping,” AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference and AIAA Unmanned…Unlimited Conference, St. Louis, Missouri, (2011).